Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help Identifying Clariion Array 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

spas

Programmer
Sep 11, 2002
Hi,

I've got a donated DG Clariion Array, but am having difficulty figuring out which one it is. Does anyone know where some pictures might be to help identify it?

Specifics are:

I have 4 chassis and two SPS boxes.

Each Chassis is 3U high and on the back have what looks like a RAID Card and an expansion card located on the left and right side of the fans.

The DB9 Connectors are mounted vertically on the cards, which are also mounted vertically.

The RAID CARD connectors are labeled as follows:
|---------|
|DB9 | - EXP
|DB9 | - B
|GLED ALED|
|DB9 |- A
|RJ11 |- Monitor or Battery
----------|
The other card is labeled internally as an LCC Board and has two DB9 connectors as follows
|---------|
|DB9 | - EXP
| |
|GLED ALED|
| |
|DB9 |- PRI
----------|

Can someone help me figure out what this system is?

Thanks,

Scott

Sounds to me like it's a 5300 with an attached DAE.

OK,

I'm somewhat confused. When I look at the docs on the Dell website, it shows the FC4700 having the SP's mounted across the bottom in an extra large chassis. All of my SP's are mounted in the left and right slots of the DAE.

The FC5300 SP Pictures look closer to what I have, but I'm still not sure.

When booting, I get the following info on the terminal:

Copyright (c) CLARiiON Storage Systems, Inc. 1991 - 1999
Disk Array Subsystem Controller
Model K1
Firmware Revision 01.09 - Jul 30,1999

Hopefully that will help someone know what I've got

Thanks in advance,
Scott

maultier,

Thanks, I think that you nailed it. Looking at the FC5300 docs shows systems that look just like mine.

Thanks, Scott

Yep... K1 is the code name for the FC5300.
I think the FC4700 would show up as 'Longbow'

I got both FC5300's up and running today with LUN's configured. Next I get to try to talk to them with Windows Machines....

Thanks for the info, and your previous posts to others. You have been very helpful.

I believe I have the same raid card, did it have agilent tachyon chips, motoroloa chip and ram onboard? Is this a 2gb/s card? this is a fc5300?

spas, were you connected directly to a pc?
I also need a copy of the flare version for this model, any info is more than great, I am a little wet behind the ears.

spas? you still out there?

woodenrobot,

After much trial and error on my part, I got the following working:

Directly attached FC5300 to PC and not through a switch. The FC5300 doesn't support the AccessLogix necessary to allow connection through a FC Switch.

I will look up later today on other things, but the post from maultier was one of the places that I got a lot of the info that 'larned' me.

HTH, spas

thanks for the excellent and not to mention rapid responses.
still have a lot of homework to do, but reguarding spas's
comment:

"The FC5300 doesn't support the AccessLogix necessary to allow connection through a FC Switch."

this leaves me little unsettled as I just bought a switch, this says it can..

The switch I bought is a Candera SCE-510 2GB Fibre Switch, it's a little different than a brocade, maybe I'll get lucky here. If not I may just convert the thing to a jbod by replacing the lcc cards.

I had thought that the FC5300 was the first to allow access logix but the release docs specifically say that San is not supported. Access Logix capable flare usually starts with a 6.xx.xx. It is possible that there is such a rev but I'm only aware of the 5.24.xx. on the FC5300 series. FC4500, FC4700 and on into the CX series support Access Logix.

Hi,

I dug for quite a while and actually talked to a number of people in and out of the EMC organization. EMC pointed me to one of their partners and we talked at length on the AccessLogix issue.

The FC5300 firmware only goes up to 5.24.(either .04, or .12, I can't remember which.)

AccessLogix is in the 6.x rev and it was never built for the FC5300. I was really bummed at this. I had bought an old Compaq SAN Switch EL/16. It is a brocate 2800 series, --the first one. They have a license that you can purchase for the switch -- at about $900, that will allow the switch to talk to an array that doesn't want to be on a public san definition (ie a private SAN) It makes the san think that it is on a private, but allows a full fabric switch to use it. This sofware in Brocade is called QuickLoop. Unfortunately, I was working on a shoestring budget and after having bought the switch for $100 on Ebay, could not justify the extra $$ for the quickloop license.

We ended up just making the FC5300 be a large external storage array to the main server and punted on other uses of it.

So--- Hopefully, your switch will support something like the QuickLoop and that will let you use the FC5300 with it.

Sorry for the bad news....
scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back