Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help - how to update table data using variables

Status
Not open for further replies.

john9

Programmer
May 31, 2002
US
I would like some guidance on this problem. Below is a Oracle stored procedure that will update a selected table row based on pass variables. The variable key fields sent to the procedure are used in a select comparison.

I am getting a missing "FROM" syntax error when compiling the procedure.

Thanks in advance.
--------------------------------------------
CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE prism.Sp_Upd_Xmldoc(NODEID IN VARCHAR2, DOCTYPE IN VARCHAR2, DOCREF IN VARCHAR2,
xmldata IN SYS.XMLTYPE)
AS
BEGIN

UPDATE PRISM.NODALXML X

SET (X.XMLDOC) =

(SELECT XMLDATA

WHERE X.NODEID = NODEID AND X.DOCTYPE = DOCTYPE AND X.DOCREF = DOCREF);

END;
/

Hi folks -

Just a little clarification to the question.

Regarding the previous comments there is no source table where the updated table will get it's information from.
In other words, the key information sent to this procedure comes from a calling JAVA application. I used the supplied keys
variables (NODEID, DOCTYPE, DOCREF) to select a specific row in table NODALXML and update the column XMLDOC using the variable XMLDATA.

Hope this clarification helps.

No, John, actually the "clarification" muddied up the water. What do you mean, "...there is no source table where the updated table will get it's information from"? SQL will certainly complain if you have a "SELECT" without a "FROM" as in your case above.

Perhaps you could restate the objective of your "UPDATE" statement, above. If there is no table, why are you trying to update from it? Specifically, what do you expect the value of "XMLDATA" to be if "X.NODEID = NODEID AND X.DOCTYPE = DOCTYPE AND X.DOCREF = DOCREF"?

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA @ 16:38 (02Sep04) UTC (aka "GMT" and "Zulu"), 09:38 (02Sep04) Mountain Time)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back