Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help getting

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdinius

MIS
Jun 25, 2005
US
I bought an old EMC Clariion DAE on Ebay and need a little help getting it up and running. I'm not sure what model it is. It has 10 bays as well two LCC/SP cards. The cards have 3 DB9 connectors each labeled EXP, A, and B respectively as well as what looks like a RJ11 port with a picture of a monitor next to it. I assume the RJ11 port would be used to get to fcli. Can I access fcli via a modem and if so how would I go about doing that?

If the A and B ports are on the left and right (vertically mounted) you have an fc5300. If the ports are on the bottom (horizontally mounted), you have something other than an FC5300. Fcli is accessed via the serial port using hyperterm or some similar emulator set to 9600 8 1 None. Vt100. Since you didn't mention a db9 serial port, I'm thinking you have an FC5300. The monitor icon you spoke of is the serial port and it should be on the SPS (Standby Power Supply). It requires and RG-6 to DB9 adapter to connect to the serial port. As for the ins and outs of fcli, click on the light bulb in this forum and follow the links for the fc5600. The Fcli discussion applies to the fc series.

What is RG-6? Isn't that a coaxial cable. Would I need a RJ11/RJ12 to DB9 adapter? The title of the auction was EMC Clariion DAE-R 10 Slot Disk Array and I'm pretty sure it is not a FC5300. I have a picture of the unit if that will help.

Don't know where my head was.. I was working with coax last week.. Anyway....yes.. RJ 12 is correct.
|-------|--6 ---- 3 (on DB9)
|-------|--5 ---- 2 (on DB9)
|-------|--1 ---- 5 (on DB9)
\-------+

Ok, I got an adapter, but can't get it to work. After I plug the RJ12 end into the SP and the DB9 to COM1, I start a connection with Hyperterminal on 9600 8N1 and startup the array and nothing is displayed. What is the difference between a DAE and DAE-R? The number on my Storage Processor is SP 005-044993. Also, when the array is done booting I get amber lights on both the SP/LCC cards.

The 'R' simply means rack-mounted.
The 005-44993 is a Storage Processor for an FC5300, so, what you have is a DPE (actually a modified DAE called an iDAE - Intelligent DAE).
Amber lights on both cards indicates that there is no Flare code being loaded. Flare is what runs the FC5300.
Flare is loaded from 'code disks in slots 0-0 thru 0-2.
If the disks have been removed and re-inserted into the wrong locations, the sp lights will remain amber. You could try cycling two disks at a time thru the unit to see if any disks have flare loaded.
The wiring diagram has 2 and 3 reversed for the adapter. My fault for not checking it out.. sorry.

One more time on the db9 adapter...
I actually grabbed one and checked the pinout instead of relying on someone elses notes.
db9 --- rj12

6 ---- 2
3 ---- 4
2 ---- 5

jdinius,

I came back after lunch and looked at this again..
I wasn't testing the right plug...
I tried to connect to a K1 (FC5300) with that adapter and it did not work. I connected to another K1 with it's attached adapter ok. I took that adapter and ohm'd out the pins... here it 'tis. Sorry for the misinformation. I'm usually more reliable than this..
Anyway...
db-9 rj12
5 --------- 4
3 --------- 3
2 --------- 2

Maultier,

The last post with

db-9 rj12
5 --------- 4
3 --------- 3
2 --------- 2

Is this the correct pinout for the SPS to SP connector?

I need to build two of these connectors for my SPS's that have shown up now.

I looked at one of these connectors and I saw that it is a 6 pin RJ connector.

I saw one wire going to pin 1 and one wire going to pin 5 and one wire going to pin 6. But that doesn't jive with what you have above.

No..

This is the pinout for an FC5300 Console port adapter. EMC part number is 118030279.

SPS adapter pinout is :

db9 - rj12
2 -- 5
3 -- 6
5 -- 1

RJ numbering is with the latch down and held as if you were going to insert it.. pin 1 is leftmost.

emc part number of the cable is 118028717

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back