Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help for Wordpro power fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbackus

Technical User
Jul 2, 2002
GB
Hi

As an elctronics systems engineer I often need to produce complex documents with paragraph numbering etc. Every time I have to do this in Word (spit!) frustration rapidly builds up. Looking at Wordpro it looks as though much of what I want to do could be done using power fields but the on-line help gives the impression of being unfinished - this in both Smartsuite 9.6 & 9.7.

An example of something I would like to simplify is a test specification with paragraph numbering and numbered tests

<paragraph number e.g. 3.2.1> <paragraph title>

<paragraph text>

<instruction to record result> <result sequence number>

Further on in the doucment I need a table that refers to the paragraph number and the result sequence number. e.g.

<title (Results Summary)>
<paragraph number> <result sequence number> <result>

Word is simply awful at this because of the complexity of entering cross references. Word's paragraph numbering is infamously obscure and difficult to control.

My impression is that Wordpro has the power to do this but lacks the documentation to explain how to do it. What I'm looking for is some tips on using power fields and global variables. A pointer to a web tutorial would be grreat - Google failed to find anything apart from paid-for courses.

TIA!

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back