Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help for dail-up remote access

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuc

Technical User
Aug 23, 2001
IT
Hi, all
I'd like to find someone that has setup dail-up remote access, saccessfully. I have tried but I wasn't able to make it work. I followed Microsoft documentation but it wasn't useful :-(, so if someone can halp me I will be pleasing. Thank you in advance.

Its pretty simple I think.
I have a RAS server which lets me connect to the internet via remote computers.
Install your modem and make sure it works.
Set up a user with rights.
Set up routing and remote access and make sure users are able to connect in the profile settings.
Then if you have Ip address you may want to assign a static ip address to the user who calls in.
The you should be able to dial the number and connect.

Nick

Well depends on whom or what you are trying to connect to. Also what are the players in this situation? What kind of modem are you running, what are you dialing up with(software)? Is this a normal RAS access server or is this a SecureID, or Cisco Secure issue...there are too many factors to just give a plain jane answer.

Thats correct but regardless of these, unless you have the stuff I stated you will not get more than 30kb for dial up access

Nick

Ok, my hardware works well. my RAs server is also the Dc of a test domain. I setup RRAS, configure modem, and allow dial-in permissions to users. Remote users can connect to the server, they appear in RRAS snap-in, but the can't see the network in My Network Places. Remote users can find compoters with Find or connect to network drive. The server has two nic in two different subnet; the ras server uses a static address pool for remote users, remote users can ping computers on the same subnet of the static address pool and nic. It seems like the traffic isn't forwarded to the other nic. I wasn't able to make it work, so I need someone that can tell me a configuration that work.
Thanks all

I can't belive this! I have installed a new W2K server as a stand alone server. I made a new connection that accept incoming connection, I have configured a client with dial-in rights, try the connection and.... all works fine! The remote user can see all the network. I thought I have find the right way. Also VPN connections work. So I enabled RRAS, and everything still work. All this appened yesterday. Tomorrow, I tried the connection and it doesn't work, but I had made no changes. I can't belive it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back