Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help fixing booting files

Status
Not open for further replies.

javierdlm001

Technical User
Jun 28, 2008
CA
I was able to fix the MBR with the Win8 Repair startup USB key, opening a console, using: 'bootrec /fixmbr', but the following command failed: 'bootrec /fixboot', it replied: 'The volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted'. Additionally, I proceded to try: 'bcdedit /set {default} device partition=c', but I got this: 'The boot configuration data store could not be opened. The system cannot find the file specified'.
Btw, in case some background info could help: My booting files got messed up as a result of attempting to setup a dual boot (Win8 + Ubuntu).
I hope this give you enough info to figure out what should be my next step.

Thanks in advance guys :)

JDL

Sounds like the Linux boot loader over wrote the Windows Boot loader files. Hope you made an image backup before starting this, as you may have to wipe the drive and start over. But you haven't mentioned if you have tried the Automatic Repair in Windows 8. Link Click the link to try different methods.

Unfortunately I'm back :( ...
As I said, I went to NeoSmart's "Fixing the Windows Bootloader via the setup DVD"
webpage and followed their step #3 (Nuclear Holocaust). I was able to do the 1st 3 commands:
attrib -h -s C:\boot\BCD
del C:\boot\BCD
bcdedit /createstore c:\boot\bcd.temp

But got stuck at the following one:
bcdedit.exe /store c:\boot\bcd.temp /create {bootmgr} /d "Windows Boot Manager"

It said something along the lines of the parameter not being good. I suppose it means that the following part was the problem:

/create {bootmgr} /d "Windows Boot Manager"

Btw, I noticed this instructions were made specifically for Vista. I hope someone can say that this parameter did change for Windows 8.1 and that the new parameter should be: blah blah blah...

I must admit, by now I'm feeling at the border of quiting fixing these booting files and just try to go the Restore way with one of the Restore files I made before.

What do you think guys? Any hope?

JDL

Finally got Win8.1 back!
I just fixed the booting files, then rebuilt the BCD =
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuildBCD

THat did it!

Now I've got to learn how to back up these booting files I guess.

JDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back