Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help finding hidden Groupwise mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanX

Programmer
Aug 31, 2007
US
A whole year's worth of email is hidden somewhere in my Groupwise account but I can't find it. I can tell it's there and unarchived because my Groupwise Mailbox Size is so high. But I can't find it in any folders and the "Find" function doesn't either.

Some history. My organization is converting from Groupwise to MS Outlook. I was afraid of losing my archived mail so I started transferring it to Thunderbird local folders.

This is how I transferred my archived Groupwise mail:
1) Clicked on first archived email received on first day of the year and shift-clicked on last email received on last day of the year to select whole year of mail.
2) Un-checked "Move to Archive" on the large group to start moving each message from my local archive to the Groupwise server.
3) Open Thunderbird and login to Groupwise account. Give Thunderbird a few moments to download the new email headers.
4) In Thunderbird, clicked on first unarchived email received on first day of the year and shift-clicked on last email received on last day of the year to select whole year of mail.
5) Right-clicked on group of email and selected "Copy To/Local Folders".
6) When copy done, closed Thunderbird.
7) In Groupwise, clicked on first unarchived email received on first day of the year and shift-clicked on last email received on last day of the year to select whole year of mail.
8) Right-click to re-archive it.

Step #8 happened so long ago I forget exactly what happened. Nothing got re-archived. Instead, the mail disappeared. I suspect it's still tucked away somewhere on the Groupwise server because that whole year of mail is causing my Mailbox Size to be so high. That is, unless the Mailbox Size needs recalculated.

Sorry to hear that you're taking a step backwards like that. have you seen this list of things you'll lose with Outlook?

Regarding the size, I think you're mistaken. GroupWise is a database, and databases grow automatically but don't shrink automatically. You have to manually shrink them to recover space.

You need to run a "reduce" process on the Post Office. Do this in ConsoleOne under Post Office maintenance.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back