Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help - Ethernet printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecm28

Technical User
May 16, 2005
US
I really need help with this. I have windows xp home. I am trying to print to a hp laserjet 5000n through ethernet. The way I need this hooked up is through a hub. The hub I am using is a DLink DE-809TC. Right now I have the printer connected direct to the hub, when i hook up the ethernet from the pc to the hub also there is no communication. I have two macintosh computers hooked as well and they print fine through hub. My lack of knowledge on the pc network is got me in a pinch. I have unplugged both of the macs from the hub and tried just the pc and nothing. I connected the pc direct to the network card on the hp laserjet and nothing. I am confused that the macs will print and the pc does not. I have taken the ethernet cable i am using from the pc and hooked up to the mac to make sure the cable was not bad and it worked.

Thank you in advance

By no communication I presume you mean you can't ping the printer from the PC but can from the mac's?

>> I connected the pc direct to the network card on the hp laserjet and nothing

This wouldn't work anyway unless you used a crossover cable - so the fact it didn't work doesn't necessarially indicate anything is wrong. You never mentioned however if the PC can ping the mac's or vice versa. Although you confirmed that the cable between the PC and the hub is fine, did you confirm if the port is OK by plugging one of the mac's into the same port and see if it works? When you plug the PC into the hub - does the green light on the NIC flash on both the PC and the hub (assuming both are switched on at the time)? If not then there's no basic physical communication between them so anything furhter up the chain, ie IP, will be unsuccessful too. Checck the status of the Local Area Connection in windows, does it say cable unplugged or ... ? Also, hope you don't mind me asking - but I assume that they're all on the same subnet?

Irish Poetry - Karen O'Connor
Get your Irish Poetry Published
Garten und Landschaftsbau

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back