Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help eliminating persistent desktop window on XP Pro startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinken

Technical User
Aug 26, 2002
US
Since installing Ahead Nero v6, about 2 months ago, whenever I boot WinXP Pro the Nero folder window is displayed on the desktop. It's annoying to have to remove it every time I start up my machine.

There is nothing in the startup folder (folderS actually - for myself or "all users"), and nothing in autoexec, config.sys or any of the files displayed in sysedit, or msconfig, which suggests a connection to this folder.

Since Active Desktop appears to be inaccessible in XP, does anyone know how I can track down the source of this miscreant folder and stop it from auto-displaying on bootup?

Thanks,

Shin

Here's one recent discussion (there are several others):

XP displays an open folder at start up
thread779-395281

Thanks. Good info.

Actually, I found the culprit.

To be more specific, I had installed Ahead Nero 6 (CD/DVD app) and started getting a Explorer window displaying a Nero directory (er...folder). On every reboot, the folder reappeared. I finally found a file named Nerocheck.exe in the MSCONFIG | STARTUP window and when I unchecked this app, the window stopped appearing. Of course I now have to try to milk the info from Nero about why this happened.

Regards,

Shinny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back