Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help creating new user

Status
Not open for further replies.

JavaJim

Programmer
Mar 20, 2001
US
We're having trouble creating a new user:
We log in as DBA and enter the following commands

Code:
create user "abcd" identified by "abcd";
grant connect to "abcd";        
grant resource to "abcd";
grant select on tablex to "abcd";

each command receives a successful reply

then we try to log on as user abcd
passsword abcd
host string (our database name)
(careful to use all lower case)

and get the wretched msg:
ora-01017 invalid username/password; logon denied

Any ideas?????????????

I did some experimenting with this and found:

If you login to the GUI version of SQL*PLUS, the login fails, no matter if you try the username abcd or "abcd" (that is logging in via the Log On window).

However using the "Connect" command you can logon if you put the double-quotes around the user name (not around the password).

It doesn't matter how you enter the password when you create the user (with double quotes or not). Either a lower case or upper case user always works.

Whoops, typo in my last response. Last sentence should read:

Either a lower case or upper case password always works.

You shouldn't really use quotes around usernames, password etc. The only time I've had to do that was when on NT I wanted to restrict users to certain domains e.g. "SATCOM\JGORDON" so I could login as sqlplus / when logged in as jgordon on the satcom domain.
When you do create a user using quotes Oracle takes the name literaly and it can cause all sorts of problems.
Try doing the same without the quotes and see if it fixes the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back