Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help creating a "FIND" script

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue1914mab

Technical User
Oct 17, 2005
US
What is the best way, and how do I create a "Find". I have a db that I need to do a find based on a field "Title". Most of the users have minimal computer experience, so I want to create a blank field that they can type part of the title, and the records that match (in whole or part)will be found.

Trying to instruct them to use the find in the menu bar, and click inside the field to do a find, and determin the type of search would be tooooo much for them.

Say you have your "FindTitle" textbox in the header section of the form.
In the AfterUpdate event procedure of this textbox:
Me.Filter = "Title Like '*" & Trim(Me![find title textbox] & "") & "*'"
Me!FilterOn = True

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Or you could have a combobox set to find the corresponding record. They can scroll down the box or start to type in the title and it will autofill. I've written programs/apps for non-techie users for over 15 years, and to be perfectly frank, if using a combobox is too difficult for them, they probably shouldn't be allowed near a PC! Having said that, it's been my experience, since the rise of Windows-based apps, that most people are remarkably adaptable, and will exceed your expectations!

The Missinglinq

There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back