Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help: connection lock-up after log-in

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyanatic

MIS
Apr 29, 1999
US
Visit site
Wonder if anyone can help. After telnetting to remote unix (aix) server, my connection locks up after entering password. Login and password are valid since I can access server from other stations (we have a mixture of PCs with NICs, and dumb terms going through Digi port servers.) I know connection is made or I wouldn't get login prompt at all. Default gateway and subnet mask are correct. In attempting to log in to our Cisco router and switch, I get same problem. I enter console passwords and get just so far before everything locks up. I can ping and log in to local and global addresses so problem seems to be NIC? <br>
<br>
Station in question is Dell Optiplex GXMT 5133 running Win 95. NIC is 3com Etherlink III ISA (3C509b) in PnP mode. The NIC is built into the motherboard and cannot be removed. I tried removing it through Control Panel, and installing another 3com NIC (verified operational on another PC). On boot up, Win will only recognize the onboard NIC and reinstalls it. I tried troubleshooting suggestions via 3coms website, but nothing has worked so far.<br>
<br>
My primary job function is Purchasing, but I am slowly learning to become our onsite sys admin (we have no onsite sys admin or MIS). I mention this by way of explaining that I am not an expert and have sort of "backed into" an IT position. I have rudimentary knowledge of OSI model, network topologies, TCP/IP addressing, etc., that I've picked up by reading on my own. Any advice that anyone can offer would be helpful. Thanks,<br>
Steve G.

I'm not sure the NIC is the problem, but to disable it, you'll need to go into the Bios (try F2 on boot up). Can't remember whether it's on P1 or 2, but there should be a line to disable/enable onboard NIC. - Should help you narrow it down.

harpo,<br>
Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't even think of disabling it through bios (duh! my inexperience is showing).<br>
That worked and allowed me to install the other NIC, but now I can't even get onto the wire. I ping 127.0.0.1 okay (I read that this verifies that IP stack is alive?), but everything else (another client on same subnet included) is unreachable. Oh well...I guess this is one way of learning. Thanks again for the tip.<br>
Steve G.

Problem resolved. Removed ISA NIC, reinstalled onboard NIC, including drivers, and now works okay. Not sure why...maybe a driver was corrupted. Thanks, Steve G.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back