Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help configuring Exchange after nameserver change

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTmonkee

Technical User
Jan 28, 2009
US
Hi,

I'm a website developer who knows very little about Microsoft Exchange. I'm redoing a website for a small company who also wants to change where their site is hosted, so I will be switching their nameservers to the new host after I complete their site. As I mentioned, this is a small company and they no longer have an IT person, so I'm the one who is going to try and get everything set up and working properly for them. I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers as to what I need to check in Exchange to make sure that it's pointing to the new host? I know how to configure Outlook for the workstations, but I'm not sure what needs to be done in Exchange itself. They are using Microsoft Exchange 2003.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

As long as the records for mail (MX records) in DNS point to the same name(s) as before, there shouldn't be trouble. I would try to duplicate all the current A and CNAME records on the new name servers and then specifically change the ones that need to change with the shift in hosting provider. I'm guessing that the MX records and the A-records that they point to will stay the same. But if you don't copy/carry them over to the new environment, there will be problems.

The actual public IP of the Exchange server is not changing, right?

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

Hi ShackDaddy,

Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I just got back. Thank you for your response.

By the "same name(s)," do you mean the same domain name - e.g. xyz.com? Just the IP of where the domain is hosted is changing.

The Exchange server public IP will not be changing either. Basically the only thing that is changing is that the domain will be hosted at a different provider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back