Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help changing WAN info on Cisco 1721

Status
Not open for further replies.

iLLuSi0nS

Technical User
Feb 20, 2010
US
Howdy. I am very new to the wonderful (but advanced) Cisco world. My 1721 router was configured a long time ago and has been working perfectly for many years, but a few days ago we changed our ISPs and now I need to enter in new IP information for my new ISP and have no idea where to start.

I have the console cable hooked up to the back of the router in the console port, going to my laptop with windows XP.

I am guessing I start hyper terminal, but have no idea what to do next. Can anyone help me step my step on what to do. I have been reading and reading, but get lost as soon as the manual tells me to put router > enable.

I am sure to some of you, you have memorized the few commands it will take to change the wan infomartion and if you can share it that would be amazing, and if I have to pay for some info, I dont mind that either, just hoping someone can take mercy on me and help me, my business is dieing with no internet. Thanks a lot

If you have the router prompt...

router>en
router#conf t
router(config)#int (whatever wan interface is)
let's say the router WAN interface is serial0
then
router(config)#int s0
router(config-if)#ip add x.x.x.x y.y.y.y
x.x.x.x=ip address, y.y.y.y=subnet mask
router(config-if)#no shut
router(config-if)#end
router#wr

Let's say the WAN is serial0, and the ip address is 72.1.1.2 255.255.255.252 (/30)...

router>en
router#conf t
router(config)#int s0
router(config-if)#ip add 72.1.1.2 255.255.255.252
router(config-if)#end
router#wr

Please post a sh run and sh ip int bri, and we'll help you
1.determine the interfaces
2.help tighten your router

In case it prompts you for a password, and you forgot it, there is a simple password recovery process---let us know.

/

tim@tim-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get install windows
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package windows...Thank Goodness!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back