Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need help - catalog calculation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenyee99

Technical User
Jul 19, 2006
MY
Dear all,
I am working on the catalog size calculation for the following policy

1. Daily Full backup size: 310GB, 30 days full backup per month, 4 months retention period for full backup.

2. Weekly Full backup size: 1575GB, 4 full backup per month,4 months retention period for full backup.

3. Monthly Full backup size: 1575GB, 1 full backup per month,13 months retention period for full backup.

4. Yearly Full backup size: 1575GB, 1 full backup per month,7 years retention period for full backup.

May i know how to i calculate the catalog size for all the policy? Thanks in advance

Catalog size is determined by the total # of files for all retentions not the size of the files.

Bob Stump
Just because the VERITAS documentation states something as certain, that does not make it a fact and that is truth.

Download Performance Tuning Doc from Veritas.
That will help you to calculate the catalog size

The following variables have to be considered when estimating the size of the catalog backup. Some have already been mentioned above:

1. # of Files that you are backing up
2. Frequency of full and inc. bkups
3. Number of user bkups and archives
4. Retention period of bkups
4. Average length of full pathnames of files
5. File info (such as owner permissions)
6. Average amount of error log info existing at any 1 time
7. Whether you have enable the DB compression option

The following is the formula for calculating the catalogs estimated size and is an example given in the NB System admin guide for Unix volume I pg. 222 (Version 5.0):
(1200 being the number of differential files for all clients with a retention of 7days) 1200 X 7 = 8400

(3000 being the number of file backed up in weekly full backups with a retention of 4wks) 3000 X 4 = 12,000

The 150 number below is an estimate you use when you don't know the true length of you pathnames. (Let's face it, none of us are going to really count up all of our pathnames)

(8400 X 150) + (12,000 X 150) = 2988 kilobytes

Hope this gives you some direction. I personally have never sat down and done all of these calculations because I inherited a system that was already being used and just added space as I needed it. Also, as you already probably know after you have calculated the amount of space needed you should add probably 40% more than that to account for some growth and the fact that you don't want to be running @ 90 - 95% percent full all the time. Mine varies between 40 and 60% full throughout the week with compression enabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back