Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NEED HELP ADDING NEW AREA CODES

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewbieAdmin

IS-IT--Management
Oct 28, 2002
US
HELLO,

I am new to the Definity system or lets say switches period. I am enrolled in a class in January to get up to speed but until then I need to know how to add area codes to the switch. In specific I need to add area code 269 to the system. I was able to figure out how to display the ars table and determined that 269 or 1269 was not on the list. We dial 9 to dial out and this is a long distance area code. In specific I need to know the commands to add this entry to the ARS Table and should I add 1269 or just 269. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Do a "change ars analysis 1XXX" where XXX is a working area code. Note all of the min/max/route/type entries. Press the "next page" button (ususally F7) and you'll see a blank table. Enter the 1269 and all of the other data copied from the other entry. Enter it and you should be done. -CL

Unless you have specific area codes that you want to block or restrict, you can also enter 12 on the ARS Analysis table with a minimum and maximum length of 11 pointed to the route pattern. That way all of the area codes that begin with 1+2xx are sent out. The LEC will stop any non-existent codes. You can do this for 12, 13, 14, etc.. Saves alot of typing, since no one can keep up with all of the new codes.

Kevin

I agree with lopes and 4mer, but be careful opening all area codes. I specifically block the area codes for the areas that are "popular" for toll-fraud. For example, by allowing all calls to an 11-digit 1-2xx, you would allow calls to the Bahamas, Barbados, and the British Virgin Islands to name a few. While I like those places, I have gotten burned once or twice by opening all numbers like that.

Just a thought

Make sure you block 18887000400. Also we usually block 1800555 numbers, but some calling card accesses have started to appear in that range, like 18005551111 which is AT&T.

Depending on how your system is set up you may not have to
enter the numbers as 1XXX you may only need the XXX. You should be able to determin this by looking at the ars table.

Hello,

Thanks for all your helpful information but Im still having a little trouble. I executed the command change ars analysis on 1706 (which is a working area code) and took note of the config settings however when I hit "next page" or F7 on keyboard it does not give me a blank table it says no next page at the bottom of the screen. Thanks so much for your help and quick response.

Nicole

Nicole,

What software version of Definity are you running?

Kevin

Hello,

When I first login to the switch the system version is G3csiV6 and software version is G3V6i.03.2.239.5

Thanks for your help

nicole

Nicole,

You have a Definity Prologix V6. If you do a 'change ars analysis 1706' a single page form should appear. The right side of the form is blank for additional entries. This is where you would add your new area code(s). On newer releases Avaya went to a 2 page form, with the second page blank for new entries.

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back