Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help adding area code overlay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overwhelmed

Technical User
Jun 6, 2004
US
Ugh. Due to layoffs, im now the phone-admin here, and my boss wont pay for Avaya to do this. Here's what I need done..i really hope someone can help me because i have an idea how - but not sure if there's anything hidden.

There is a new area-code overlay going into affect soon.
Currently, we are in area code 847 and dial 9(ARS)+7 digits for local calls. The new overlay code for local calls is 224.

What i need to do (somehow) is force all current local calls to require 11 digits. So, 9+ 7 digits in 847 or 224 is denied, and 91847 or 91224 is the only way to dial a local call.

Does this make sense? Please help!
Thanks for any help you can provide.

I would suggest the following web address to get you started.

Look for "area code". Also, you should only need 10 digits for local calls, not 11. Your local carrier should not require that 1 for local calls, only toll calls.

dproo

ugh - thanks for the link..but here's what it said about my situation...and im not kidding either.

"Local area code changes.
DOCID:1293
Date:07-JAN-00
If your local area code is changing or splitting, call Lucent Technologies and have them walk you through all the changes needed to have your system recognize the new area code."

Isn't this billable? This is exactly what i need to do, and my boss won't pay for it.

Afternoon!

First, it's not always as hard as you might think. It really depends on the amount of planning your previous administrator did, before leaving.

Start by going to the NANP website (NANPA.com) and reading planning letter #305 (PL-305). It explains exacly how your dialing sequence will need to be once the overlay is in effect. One good thing is that ALL calls (local and LD) are using a 1 prefix digit (1+10-digits). Only operator assisted calls use the 0 prefix.

From there you have several choices. First. decide how you want to route toll vs. non-toll calls. If you don't care or everything routes the same this is simple. If you have a seperate vendor for local and/or long distance then you'll need to define route patterns for each type of call.

Either way this will be difficult to step-by-step here. Give me a call (202-663-3312) and I'll try and help you through it.

Thanks, WHCARon

Overwhelmed...
I work in 847 also (Wheeling) and need to do the same thing.. Give me a call
847-537-1200 x310 Stu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back