Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need guidance in learning graphic output

Status
Not open for further replies.

blazero

Programmer
Feb 7, 2004
US
I'm no longer a C++ beginner, I consider the classes point the end of it, but I've been wondering how you output graphics and a good book on the concept using C++. My current, Beginning C++ the complete language, by Ivor Horton, seems to keep away from graphic output. Any suggestions on easily acquired books on the subject?

That depends on what platform you are going to program on since you have to communicate with the OS when doing such things. If you pick Windows, then you have to decide how you are going to make your programs. Are you going to want to learn Windows API (many functions defined by Microsoft used to do things, such as displaying graphics) or MFC (classes instead of just simple functions)? Once you get an answer to these questions then you can look for a book written specificly for it.

Oh, and another thing you will have to know is what compiler you are going to use to make the programs with if you don't know already. That is a major thing to consider when picking a book.

-Bones

Ahh, MFC includes graphic output? Thanks for the info, as I thought MFC was just more hardcore C++ that displays no clue of what it is doing, other than text. Thanks, now I don't have to stray for too long to attain a C++ book.

Yes, basically MFC is just an extensive library of classes made by Microsoft that handle all of the details in displaying graphics, creating windows, handleing events, and more. You can acctually see these classes in VisualStudio if you wanted, it all starts in AfxWin.h I believe.

The book I used was Introduction to MFC Programming by Richard M. Jones. It was ok, but keep an eye out for something that you think will go along with your style of learning. When you first start with MFC, unfortunately, you don't get to see graphics instantly. You have to familiarize youself with classes like CPoint, CString, and other key MFC classes. Then you finally begin to build your windows applications like Note Pad that handles text and other simple graphics. Eventually you will move on to bitmaps and simple animations.

-Bones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back