Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need For Advanced Functionality

Status
Not open for further replies.

BTilson

Programmer
Jul 14, 2004
US
I have been doing Access development for quite a few years now, but it has always been relatively simple. Pull some data from an ODBC source, make a table, write a report, so on and so forth. It is becoming a common occurence where I seem to be hitting a brick wall in regards to what I know how to do using access. Our business is growing rapidly, and so is our need for more advanced DB capabilities.

I have been trying to do a bit of research on DAO, but it seems that DAO is all but dead, and there is a whole alphabet soup out there, DAO, ADO, etc.

Quite frankly, I have no idea where to begin. I have looked at various code samples, and the ability to manipulate recordsets, tables, so on and so forth, from within VBA code is really what I am needing to get a handle on.

Does anyone have any input on where I should go with this? Any good tutorial links or suggested reading?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Brooks Tilson
Database Development
Tilson Machine, Inc.

I still use DAO in some Access applications. ADO has more application in a broader range of development environments such as web pages.

There is tons of stuff including samples on the web. Google is your friend.

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

Microsoft's advice used to be to use DAO when working with Jet tables, ADO for any other data source. DAO is optimised for Jet and generally gives much better performance than ADO. As far as I'm aware this advice is still the same.

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back