Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need feild on form to populate based on selection in combo box

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSAMarvel

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2010
US
I have a form for users to submit a work order. The form is simple it has a combo box to select the name turning in the form and a field to state the problem. I want to add a text box that will look at the combo box look at a record based on selection in combo box then return the data from selected field from same record back to the new text box. I cannot find a starting point on this issue.

Can you tell us anything about the combo box such as the Row Source, number of columns, bound column, column widths, Control Source,...?

How about describing the significant tables and fields?

Is the "new text box" bound or for display only?

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

The test box is for display only. just noticed combo box is not combo it is a list box that lists employee names from a table that just holds the names.

Control Source
Turned In by

Row Source
SELECT [Employee].[Employee] FROM Employee ORDER BY [Employee];

Add whatever table and field you want to display in the text box to the Row Source of the list box. Then set the control source of the text box to something like:
Code:
=lboTurnedInBy.Column(1)
If you can't figure this out then you really need to provide enough information so we understand what table, field, record, etc that is used in the text box. Also how does the employee relate to a record in the other table.

We can't see your database or read your mind.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back