Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need fan speed controller 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrB0b

IS-IT--Management
May 19, 2011
US
Not sure why my new build runs the fan 100% all the time from boot up. I put Speedfan on it but it doesnt open up upon startup to change the fan speed. The temp is only around 40C so I know it doesnt have to be on all the time or atleast not running full blast. I never noticed the issue until I took it to the office it now sits in, seemed to run fine when I first installed it. Upon initial setup, I did run the AMD cool n quiet driver and have since uninstalled.
Only thing I can think of that is different from when I moved it was I installed all the windows updates I could...

Build info:
APEX PC-389-C ATX Mid Tower
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB
Koutech USB 2.0 PCI (2 x Ext+2 x Int Header-pin) Model IO-PU222
LITE-ON DVD Burner
Rosewill RV2-500 500W
ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 AM3
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver...

There could be a BIOS setting for target temperature or target fan speed. Look for some type of "smart fan control" setting in the BIOS versus "full bore, hard core all the time" dumb setting.

Will most definitely check that out, its the boss's PC and he is at it all the time now since I gave i to him so gunna have to wait until he is outa the office.
I did find an easy way to make Speedfan or any other .exe run on boot without going through regedit:
Go down to the Start button(or Windows logo for 7/Vista), click All Programs, go to the Startup folder and copy a shortcut to whatever .exe you are trying to get to run.

Um thanks BBB, I was totally just testing you to see if you'd find it........

Cant believe I overlooked that page, I looked through this darn thing like 4 times to make sure I wasnt asking a stupid question, lol. Thanks again.

Also goomba, spot on as usual.

More credit to BBB because he QUOTED page and verse - I was too lazy to do that. Glad you got it sorted out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back