Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need explanations/ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cstorms

IS-IT--Management
Sep 29, 2006
US
Hello all, I was curious if this is directly related to the way that Microsoft addresses memory in regards to 32bit Windows OS and the latter 64bit version.

I have installed and successfully setup dotnetnuke and there is an upload module. I know it is built in .Net but I am not a programmer so I know very little in that regard. However, I had a hunch that when I started receiving the error

System.OutOfMemoryException

I figured it had something to do with Windows 32bit memory limitations since I saw so many other people having this error with so many different applications. After installing the 64bit OS and setting up a site the same way I was able to upload everything and anything.

These are my findings....

32bit
When uploading files w3wp service was capped at around 330mb of ram usage (320 or so VM). When I would find a file that would not upload I saw that nothing would happen to the service and it would pretty much hang, then throw the error. I also noticed that the RAM usage did not recycle well when I designated it to within IIS, sometimes it would recycle but at this point it would not continue with is "pre-recycle" activity. Processor usage was minimal this entire time.

64bit
Everything uploaded just fine, processor usage seemed to fluctuate rapidly even though it was not a very high %. Memory usage flew to the heavens and maxed out at 600mb, I then uploaded another large file 400+MB and it continued to climb to around a GB of RAM usage. It would then recycle itself to a healthy level then begin to climb again, but it would never hang.

My question lies with the 4GB memory limitation in 32bit enviroments (even while using /PAE switch in the boot.ini), compared to the practically unlimited amount of designateable ram in the 64bit OS. In laymans terms, is there some sort of service that is telling windows to throw this error because it is afraid this asp function or whatever it is will eventually swallow up all the physical ram even though by design of IIS and certain failsafes it really should not. Is this almost a false alarm on Windows part??

Sorry for the lengthy post but I needed some 2nd opinions. Thanks!

I have a feeling it has more to do with the programmer that wrote that upload module. My guess would be that either it is responsible for the memory overflow due to a logic error or that it attempting to do some unsafe things and was not tested thoroughly enough. Personally any time a .Net application tells me what exception was thrown I lose some respect for the programmer, as they obviously don't have a high-enough level of error catching and resolution in their application. I don't believe this is directly the fault of IIS (even if it is enforcing a cap, the upload utility should be able to handle that gracefully).

Best MS KB Ever:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back