Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need equivalent to DELTREE on XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterZuzu

Technical User
Dec 8, 2001
US
A trick I use on small network file servers (pre-xp) is to
1. equip the machine with 2 hard drives
2. write a batch file to
(a) deltree /Y d: (b) xcopy32 /c /h /e /k c:\ d:3. add the batch file to the task scheduler to run before
the tape backup.
Thus, I have two backups, one on-site and the other off-site (the tape). If either hard drive fails, I can set jumpers and have my client up and running in just a few minutes. If the primary fails, they lose the work done so far that day. If the secondary fails, they lose nothing. I prefer this to mirroring because if a controller goes bad, it will write garbage to both mirrored drives.

My problem is that XP doesn't have DELTREE. I copied it from Windows 98 to XP but it doesn't work exactly right. It deletes all the files but not the directories. I could format the 2nd drive (and redirect FROM an input file containing a "Y") but then Norton AV would pop up and not allow the process to continue until someone says its okay.
The key word here is "unattended".

Can anyone tell me how to have D: drive cleared automatically and unattended from the task scheduler?
I'm looking at vbs but it's new to me and it may take a while. I'm an old DOS BATCHER.
Thanks in advance.

I used deltree from dos 6.22, It worked fine for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back