Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need documentation on AIX 4+ 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 10, 2001
US
I have been tasked with learning AIX 4+ in my company. I know little about it. I know some SCO UNIX and LINUX. Any one have any good reference material? James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

james, do a basic internet search ... i used google and put in eg :

unix aix scripts

Best of Irish Luck, David.
djwilkes@hotmail.com

That's a real hard question to answer, but I guess a good starting point is to make use of SMIT for most tasks - some times using F6 gives a good idea (from within SMIT) as to the commands it's running.

For command info, programming stuff and so on check out...

...I find this really useful so I've got a bookmark on my browser that points direct to the command references.

Hope it helps,
Cheers.
Dave V.

My first book on AIX, which I still find helpful sometimes, is the AIX Survival Guide by Andreas Siegert. Unfortunately, it is old and still talks a lot about 3.X and 4.1.x. But there are still some things in there that are relevant to 4.3.x. I don't know if Siegert is going to update his book. (Anybody out there know?)

And, O'Reilly's Essential System Administration is handy because if you know what the command or process is in one platform, you can look it up and nearby in the book, it will probably tell you how AIX does it and what may be different for that platform.

Thanks guys for the Info. I have a lot to look up. bi if you find any info on an updtaed book email me with that info, cool? James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back