Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need DNS Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbertram

MIS
Oct 15, 2002
US
To make a long story ans short as possible ...

I have set up 2 Win2K servers, one at my house and one at work. The one at home was just setup for testing and making sure everything was working fine before implementing it at work.

The home server works perfectly, but I am having serious DNS problems at work.

How I know it is with DNS, when I establis a VPN connection to the home server and run nslookup, it resolves the DNS name servers without any problem, and I can surf the Internet over the VPN.

If I establish a VPN connection the work server and run nslookup, DNS name servers will not resolve (times out for both primary and secondary IPs) and Internet access is non-existant.

What is the easiest way to fix DNS issues. The wizards will not run again, and I am also running AD so I cannot just delete DNS and start over, or can I?

Any suggestons would be much appreciated.

If you have "." zone this means that Win2k assumes it is a root server and it won't forward request to external DNS servers. That is the default setting if you didn't point Win2k to another DNS server when you ran the wizard. This would also grey out the option to use fowarding entries.

Here is what setup in DNS (modified)

Name Type Status
server.local Active Directory-integrated Running

Forward Lookup Zones
Name Type Data
WIN_SERVER
(same as parent folder) Start of Authority [34], server1.server.local., admin.
(same as parent folder) Name Server server1.server.local.
(same as parent folder) Host 192.168.254.xxx
(same as parent folder) Host 192.168.254.xxx

Name Type Data
(same as parent folder) Name Server server1.server.local.

Under the proporties for the server1.server.local. I have the two IPs I have statically assigned the NIC in the TCP/IP settigns and the local IP for the VPN connection.

In the TCP/IP settings for the NIC, I have two static IPs assigned (one for local and one for IIS), the DNS IPs statically assigned to my ISP's DNS servers, and the default gateway to the routers address.

How do I correct the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back