Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need desperate help with SQL Server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 22, 2005
BM
I’m not a SQL Server guru, but I’ve inherited a SQL 2008 R2 server that is hosting several small databases for things such as Backup Exec, Symantec Endpoint Protection, WSUS, BES, etc… The server did not have any maintenance plans in place. Backup Exec is being used for backups and is only backing up the databases. The transaction logs where not being backed up or truncated. This has led to several issues now which we are trying to resolve. The main issue is that several of the data and logs are at 1% free space.
1. The first step I’ve taken is created a maintenance plan that checks database integrity, update statistics, backup database (full), maintenance cleanup tasks.
2. The second step is that I’ve changed all the databases to recovery mode: FULL.
3. The third step is I’ve created a second backup exec job using: Log – Back up Transaction Log.
Do the above steps seem correct?
I’m not sure what to do about low free space for the data and logs?
Also, the C drive is full because of a large amount of SQLDump.mdmp files and ErrorLog files located under the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Log

Please advise on steps to take to resolve.

It sounds like you have made a start, but that you have a ways to go yet. Here is a link to a page on Brad McGehee's site where you will find an very helpful, free ebook called Brad’s Sure Guide to SQL Server Maintenance Plans. I have found this book to be invaluable to me, as a novice, in setting up backup and maintenance plans.

Lyle
----
"For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert." - Arthur C. Clarke.

Free space on a database is controlled mainly by the autogrow setting. As the free space is used up, the database will autogrow (if allowed) based on the autogrow setting. So being down to 1% isn't necessarily a bad thing, it may just mean the file is about to grow again.

-SQLBill

The following is part of my signature block and is only intended to be informational.
Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Setting the database recovery modes to "FULL" may or may not be needed. It depends on the need for point in time restore, or if you need to capture a transaction log for a restore. If a database does not change often a nightly backup may be okay.

To add to SQLBill's, comments disk space for growth also needs to be considered, which is a different metric.

djj
The Lord is my shepherd (Psalm 23) - I need someone to lead me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back