Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need data items w/ equal codes but different types

Status
Not open for further replies.

wernerf

Programmer
Jul 29, 2002
DE
Using PD 9.0.0.580.

While trying to map an existing database into a CDM I need to establish data items with different types but identical codes: Let E1 and E2 be entities, and E1 shall get an attribute with name/code CODE and type VA10, while E2 has a CODE with VA20. Do not forget: it's no new model, so renaming data items or changing data types is not an option.

PD will not let me a second data item with the same name/code, and if I try to define the second attribute named code, it identifies it with the first one and changes the data type of the code item defined first to the one specified to the second item. Example: I define an attribute "code" with type VA10 for E1; then I go to E2'a attributes and add an attribute "code" with type VA20: promptly the data type of E1's code attribute changes from VA10 to VA20. It's a mean trap if you are not aware of this fact, since there's no warning or information in this case, and I think this the least one to be expected.

Is there ANY way to work around this problem?

Note, that in the existing PD6 CDM, the ARE lots of equally named data items with different data types, and I can import this model into PD9 (of course, though it was successfully checked in PD6, glorious PD9 reports >60 errors after the import, since it is unable to translate the join conditions correctly, but that's another sad case with PD9).

I must admit, that PD9 in my eyes is a piece of crap (so they say in english, don't they?), and I begin to hate it...
Ok, in small test models everything seems to work, but if you have a badly migrated PD6-model with 500 entities and 1000 relationships, 500 inheritances, and multiple references from one entity to another (most delicate problem, but that's another sad story), you have to pray with every PDM generation (what foreign key column names does PD9 want to swap today?).

So, is there any way to achive two data items having the same code but different data types?

Any input is appreciated...

TIA, Werner

Sorry for my sillyness - should have read the f... manual! After unchecking Tools/Model Options/Data Items/Unique Code I was able to define a second item with same code and a different type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back