Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need computer fan noise reduction device 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

JacobTechy

Programmer
Apr 14, 2005
US
Is there a such thing as a muffler for a computer fan?

Our computer fan is very loud. You can hear the air going through.

I replaced the fan but the noise of air still occurs.

I think the fan is the case fan thats making the noise.

if you are using the right version of bios, you can change the fan speed :)

Buy a quiet fan! They're a bit more expensive.

btw - how may fans do you have - and are all needed? Most 'normal' systems only need a cpu fan and power supply fan. Case fans only required if you start having temperature problems with just cpu/psu fan.

Now wolluf you forgot that there should be a fan that blows over the harddrive to keep it cool. over heated harddrives make a short life span for the drive and is good business for me

Here are some options

Buy a new case with the larger fans (they run quieter)

Buy a quieter CPU fan

NOTE: Don't do what is in my notes below for the CPU fan...you will run the risk of frying the CPU

This trick does work

buy an adjustable Limiter switch if you have the 3-pin hook up

if you use the 4-pin hookup switch the red and the yellow pin positions and tape the open adapter end or just cut the red wire (to the fan)to the 4-pin and splice the wire to the red wire on the adapter

what this does is changes the voltage to the fan from 12 volt DC to 5 volt dc and slows the fan and the noise...the cost of this is reduced cooling

to add to the cooling you can run a second fan over the first with spacers between them and both wired for 5 volts

and there is not much more fan noise. but a lot more air movement.

something else...dirty old fans make a lot of noise...if the noise is coming from the chipset fan or the video card fan ...change them as fast as you can because they will cause your motherboard or video card to fail....this holds true as a given for the CPU fan too.

Fans are CHEAP and a lot easier to replace than a failed major component

I should know about case fans I have 7 of them in one case

Bigger fans 92mm or even 120mm, turn slower, make less noise and move more air.
There are also thermally controlled case fans that only spin as fast as they are needed ie
Vantec Stealth
Arctic Cooling with TS I think thats what they are called (with a small built in thermister that regulates fan speed against the temperature around it)
Also there are many CPU heatsink/coolers that are near silent or use much bigger fans (which we know are quieter)
Don't forget the power supply! again these are often responsible for much of the noise, you can also buy big fan versions of these with quiet thermal management, actually you can even buy totally silent ones that just have a massive heatsink (from the makerZalman)but these are very expensive.
Lastly, there are thermally insulating sheets available, kits that uses to deaden internal sounds.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back