Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need CI_OBJECTS table description 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mary2003

Programmer
Jun 4, 2003
US
Hi,
I have CE 9.

Can you please tell where can i find the CI_INFOOBJECTS table description.

Thanks in advance
Mary

Went to the Launchpad and saw the example given under CSP Query Builder ("SELECT SI_ID, SI_NAME FROM CI_INFOOBJECTS WHERE SI_PROGID = 'CrystalEnterprise.Report'") but I'd like to take a look at the entire structure for the CI_InfoObjects table and for the CI_SystemObjects table. Does anyone know if there's a data dictionary available anywhere? Thanks.

-= Hypermommy =-

Hi,
Launchpad...Documentation ( Upper Left ) ..Web Developers Guide..Query Language Reference..InfoObject Properties

Enjoy..
[profile]

Web developers guide leads me to a page where I can download documentation in a zipped file format. When I unzip it I get CE_SDK.chm, com_libary.chm, RAS_SDK.chm, readme_com_docs.txt, Report_Viewers.chm. I've looked through these but don't see what I need. I find a lot of information about objects and their properties and methods, but what I'm looking for is not there. When I query "Select TOP 1 SI_ID, SI_NAME From CI_INFOOBJECTS Where SI_PROGID = 'CrystalEnterprise.Report'" I get a bunch of information back in quite a number of fields. I'm looking for a listing and description of what those fields are. Those and the ones in CI_SYSTEMOBJECTS. Can anyone point me towards these data dictionaries? I need to understand them so I can know what fields I can query on. Thanks.

-= Hypermommy =-

Hi,
Apparently you did not elecct to install the docs when you installed the CE system, but now you have them: It is in the CE_SDK.chm help file under that heading ( Query Language Reference..Info Object Properties)..

[profile]

Apparently I didn't elect to install anything. This @!#$ was dumped on my lap when I got this job and Crystal's "help" files and "support" are worse than M$'s. What I find in the CHM file you direct me to is a listing of properties of an object. However, there must be a relational database behind the dratted thing somewhere becuase you're able to SQL against it, right? Do they not publish a data dictionary for the complete database (in one document without having to look at this little doc and that little doc to piece together all the information) anywhere? Wouldn't surprise me...........

I appreciate the help and I'm sorry to be dumping... I've just been trying to figure this out for 2 weeks now and every time I think I'm getting somewhere I'm not. I just don't understand why it would be so all-fired hard to find a dog-gone data dictionary all in one place.

-= Hypermommy =-

Hi,
In most cases, you will not need to know any more about
that object then what is revealed in its properties..
The underlying table for most of the useful data is
CI_INFOOBJECTS ...
Since you have been given the unenviable task of learning a complex system with no training in it, try the tutorials in the help files first..then the CSP scripting parts

CE is much more ( and a little less) than a database, so accessing a traditional data dictionary is not going to be of much help, even if it had one.

[profile]

The default database engine is SQL Server, and you can D/L any SQL Server query facility, including SQL Server itself from the web to query and explore the database.

Keep in mind that what Turkbear alludes to is that the database does not readily expose it's underlying data, the ci_infoobects table has values stored in the Properties column, which aren't readily accessible.

-k

once you get the hang of it the help files are fairly comprehensive - though they could be easier to navigate. the system db is not designed to be accessed directly, the plan is to go through the sdk.

Icytrue

icytrue@hotmail.com

From the CSP query builder run this query:

select * from ci_infoobjects

While not a description, it'll give you all the field names, etc.

Tried the select * from ci_infoobjects trick a while back but it doesn't give me the same fields all the time... probably becuase the objects are different (i.e., a CrystalEnterprise.Report will give something different than a CrystalEnterprise.Folder). But I'm getting there... thanks.

-= Hypermommy =-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back