Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need brainstorming on going from IIS to Apache on Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

HDumas

Programmer
Jun 5, 2001
CA
I have been using Delphi for over 4 years now in a Windows environment. With Delphi 7, I have been developping Intraweb apps that run on IIS in Windows 2000. All of those apps connect to Oracle databases with the help of ODAC(CoreLab) components.

I have been told that my organization is thinking of changing the webserver, going from IIS on Windows to Apache installed on Linux(probably RedHat). This would not change our LAN and workstations which would stay on Windows 2000.
I don't know enough about LANs and WebServer and some of my concerns might appear a bit dumb but I still would like your input:

1. Do I have to convert my Intraweb applications to Kylix?

2. If I develop with Kylix installed on Windows, will my Intraweb applications work when I deploy them on the Apache server which runs on Linux.

3. How about my D7 applications that have code like ShellExecute to get the mail or browser to open. Would this still work?

Any other input is welcome. Thank you very much in advance for any help.

Greetings!

I am not so good in the IntraWeb applications developing with Delphi help, but i'll try to help you using my quite experience in the Web applications development (ASP,IIS, ORACLE and SQL2000) and the Delphi as i know it.

First of all if you use your application as an external one (external stand-alone application) which uses data from the Oracle web server you'll not needed to conver it to OCX (Linux) compatible. I suppose its clear?

Then if you must to run your application on the IIS and you're going to migrate to the Linux platform, you must make it Linux compatible to run in Linux environment.

Regarding ShellExecute i suppose you must change it. As far as i know this one uses command of the OS where application runs, and if you trying to open a web browser for example it goes to look for the default one associated as a web browser at the current system and launch it. In the Linux environment (i'am using Mandrake - RedHat core) some of the shell command are the same some have another syntax. You must check it.

Hope it will help you. Any other questions???

Sincerely The Helmsman.

Hi.

I am not so good in the IntraWeb applications too, but I also think that the use of shellExecute will not work in Kylix or Linus plattform.

But I just want to say that I have seen application.. somewhere.. cant remember where.. that can transform your application to .clx then why not try it to see what happens...

Another thing you could have Apache Server on windows2000.

mha

This may sound a bit simplistic, but have you considered checking out wether or not there is a Windows emulator for
webservers ??? Maybe WINE ???
Maybe itll work, maybe it wont, would save you a hell of lot of work by the sounds of it!

[bobafett] BobbaFet [bobafett]

Everyone has a right to my opinion.
E-mail me at caswegkamp@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back