Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need assistance with XML- Sort/Grouping (alpha sort; hide without groups)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kokch

Technical User
Sep 9, 2021
US
I am stuck with an XML problem and do not know how else to get around it.

We are using software for invoicing, the program allows me to define what I want group or sorted.

However, no matter which options I play around with, someone's either title or name ends up messing up the way I want the invoice to look.

Is there a way for me to put in some type of XML style language to get it to sort and group the way I want it to.

I would like the Name to be the grouping.

Then I would like the sort to be done in highest-lowest rate, highest-lowest title, and of course the data to flow in date order.

This is an excerpt from the source code.

<dataTable collection="time" style="margin-top:40;" pageBreak="before avoid" showRptTotal="1" showSubTotals="1" group1="TMTeamRole" group2="TMStaffNm" rptTotalTitle="TOTAL FEES" rptTotalTitleCellAlignment="right" sort1="TMDt" sort2="TMStaffNm">
<heading id="time_head" style="" class="TitleFont HeaderTitle">TIME DETAILS</heading>
<fld label="Team Role" style="width:100;">TMTeamRole</fld>
<fld label="Date" style="width:90;text-align:right;">TMDt</fld>
<fld label="Description">TMNotes</fld>
<fld label="Hrs" style="width:80;text-align:right;">TMHrsBill2</fld>
</dataTable>

Thank you, I have had several years of college, but nothing in programming. And, to be honest I am suprised I got this far. The alpha-sort is my last hurdle. Then when I eliminate the groups altogether, the data is exactly as it should be just that we do not want the repeat of each field saying the person's name, role on every line of data.

Thanks.

Hi kokch,
You posted your question in Perl programming forum, so I thought you need help with a Perl program for XML processing. But you ask "Is there a way for me to put in some type of XML style language to get it to sort and group the way I want it to."
I suggest you rather post your questions in XML specialized forum here:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back