Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need article with configs on configuring one port for voice&data vlan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's usually what we do

int fa0/1
switchport mode access
switchport access vlan xx
sw voice vlan 2
spanning-tree portfast

That's without port-security or nac enabled. Hope this helps.

Humans are not proud of their ancestors, and rarely invite them round to dinner.
Douglas Adams

looks pretty straight forward. if anyone can find a cisco article on this, I would like to see it

thanks

You mean the same port for a voice VLAN and a Data VLAN? From what I understand, switchports can only belong to one VLAN at a time, but I could be wrong...

Burt

I just read the article you have a link to...do you mean separating the voice and data from eachother by using what is called the auxillary VLAN for data, and the voice port on the phone for VoIP traffic???

Burt

i am under the impress from the article I linked that I can use one port on my switch cisco 2960,2960g and that port can belong to two vlans. the cisco 7970g or 7060g phones have a built in switch that the diagram shows me plugging me computer into. Am I wrong assuming all this?

I think the "switch" module in the IP phone separates data for your computer that is plugged into it from VoIP traffic. I believe you can also just plug the PC into the 2960, into a data VLAN. We will need someone that knows these phones, and how they are set up. Sorry I am not that knowledgeable about VoIP...do you have separate switchports set up as separate data and VoIP VLANs?

Burt

Here is what I am reading...

"You can resolve these issues by isolating the voice traffic onto a separate VLAN on each of the ports connected to a phone. The switch port configured for connecting a phone would have separate VLANs configured for carrying:

* Voice traffic to and from the Cisco MGCP IP phone (auxiliary VLAN)
* Data traffic to and from the PC connected to the switch through the access port of the Cisco MGCP IP phone (native VLAN)"

Where it says isolating the voice traffic onto a separate VLAN tells me that there is a separate VLAN for voice, but I see what you are saying...one port on the phone connects to the PC, and the other connects to the 2960 switchport---but where the VALN traffic gets separated is beyond me. I am interested to find this out myself...

Burt

One more thing---I have a few books on VoIP, and you are welcome to them...

ftp://70.241.197.163/Cisco%20Stuff/Books/VoIP.rar

I am going to start reading them myself tomorrow.

Burt

Switchports usually belong to one vlan or another unless they are trunked. However Cisco has segmented the voice and data on the same switchport, just by segmenting the type of vlan so that you can have voice and data on one switchport. Oh and the ip phone, yeah its basically just a switch with a receiver on it. Hopefully this is what you are looking for? If you need further explanation let me know, we run callmanager over 3560s and have 7940s and 7960s all over the place.

Sean

Humans are not proud of their ancestors, and rarely invite them round to dinner.
Douglas Adams

thanks everyone for responding. I asked someone at cisco and the first response is correct. the switch built into the phone tags the traffic and segments it according to response 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back