Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need an inexpensive RAS appliance

Status
Not open for further replies.

pirateclem

Technical User
Feb 4, 2005
US
Seems nobody is making these anymore. We were using a Shiva lanrover 8E on site which has died. Need to replace it with something comparable but updated.

Backgroud -

We are running Cisco VoIP network, and broke off 96 D2A lines via 248 voice gateways. 5 of these were feeding the lanrover and this was used for dial-in remote access. I want to quickly replace this unit but do so with something that can give me some encryption that can be configured via WinXP (mschapV2 etc.). Boss is not willing to pay for data plans for cell phones so they can use the VPN. Need to get remote users who will use their cell as a modem into the network. Opinions / info?

I was looking at the 3com superstackII 1500. Not sure if this is overkill, the right / wrong solution, or old / inadaqute.

Additionally, we have NO documentation on the lanrover and I cannot find any. I belive it would be the unit feeding DHCP to the dial-in users and creating a connection that then feeds back via 10/100 to an edge switch. Not sure. Need a quick course in RAS, this is a first for me.
Thanks and...Help!

I'm not sure what Cisco products you are using, but a good portion of them are capable of this. Look into the Cisco AS Series (Access Server). If you're desperate, you can most likely find used Lanrovers on eBay. I'm sure there are some other products, these are the two that I can think of off the top of my head.

Well I built an MS RAS server with two Perle PCI 4 port serial cards. Hung USR serial modems off of it, pretty stable platform for little $. I'm happy and it authenticates via AD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back