Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need advise on how far i can upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aarat260980

Technical User
Oct 12, 2001
GB
Hello All
I bought following mboard/cpu bundle last year, i wanted to know what are my options in form of upgrading it.

AthlonXP 2000 266 DDR FSB, 1GB 184 Pin 333Mhz,ECS Motherboard L7VTA Socket A NO CNR, i also have GE FORCE 4 MX 4400 128MBDDR graphics card.

I would appreciate if you can let me know on how far i can upgrade.

Thanks

Aarat

Aarat H Patel

For the CPU, you're pretty much at the end of the line. You could try to get an XP 3000, but good luck finding one. The Sempron is Socket A-compatible, but my opinion is that it's useless to upgrade for that. Instead, I think that your best option is to wait until the beginning of next year, when the X2 cpus will be available and acceptably priced. Then you'll have to go for the entire bundle : CPU, motherboard and probably memory.
As for the graphics, you should definitely be able to get an FX 6600GT, or better if you can afford it, but only if you're into gaming.

My 2 cents,

Pascal.

P.S. : try to get your RAM into a two-bar package to benefit from dual-channel performance.

aarat260980
Via KT400 based ECS motherboard with support for 333fsb processors.
So that's Athlon's upto XP3.0+
Semprons But not worth it.

An XP3.0+ would give you a small but reasonable performance increase.
Still available on places like ebay but becoming increasing rare as they are now out of production.
Use with PC2700 (DDR333) or faster memory.
8X AGP slot means there are a good sellection of graphics card options available.
It's going to be a very long time before Athlon64 X2's (dual core) on socket 939 come down to mainstream pricing levels, single core A64's will remain the choice of the majority of users for a least the next 18months or so.

martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back