Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need advise on databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

xandre

MIS
May 21, 2001
US
We have a small Access 97 database, which is on our network and shared by 12 people (not at once, but would like them to be able to). I had decided to rebuild it in Access 2000, but would like to get away from Access. The reason I want to rebuild it is because I don't want to have to deal with 'database conversion problems' from Access 97 to 2000. And, I don't want to be tied into using MS Office anymore.

Is there a 'desktop-type' db out there that has an interface similar to Access, where I can see all the tables, queries, reports, relationships, etc? I checked out FileMaker, didn't like it.

If not, does anyone have any suggestions on a good back end/front end for this situation, that's easy on the pocketbook and newbie? Or some resource that explains how back-end/front end, middleware is? It's confusing.

Also, I'm thinking of migrating from a Novell server to Linux, so wouldn't the back-end have to be able to work on this OS?

Thanks,

Dawn

i also believe that MySQL is the most credible, efficient solution, especially given the fact that you want to migrate to linux.
It's faster, cheaper and widely used (caution i don't have the exact stats!!).
DON'T try it under windows though, it was a really disappointing experience when i tried (under win 2k) that.
You can also try PostgreSQL, under linux as well....
Good luck....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back