Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need advice 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalisperas

Technical User
Sep 9, 2002
US
I'm a lifelong mac user, and I've recently decided to get a Windows machine as well. I'd like to build my own (I've always heard it's the better route to go), however, I know very little about the world of PC's, so I need some hardware advice.
I've been doing some homework, and I've got most of the hardware I'd like pretty much nailed down. I'm going with an Athlon XP 2000+ processer, an Albatron GeForce 4 MX 440 64MB video card, and probably a Maxtor 7200 rpm 40 GB ATA133 drive.
My problem is in choosing a motherboard. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the following choices:

MSI KT3 Ultra-2
GigaByte GA-7VRX
Asus A7S333
Abit KT7-333

Which one of these boards should I go with? I'll be using the system largely for gaming, and possibly for some video, 3D and other graphics applications. My budget is pretty limited, and these were the best cards I could find in my price range with the features I wanted. I'd prefer onboard sound, at least for now, I'd like to use DDR2700 RAM, and ATA133 and USB 2 are preferred, but not necessary (are they?). I'm not interested in RAID, and not planning on overclocking. A big concern is which will be the most stable and hassle free for someone like me who can only think in Apple terms, and knows little about fiddling with hardware troubles.
Also, I hope I don't sound too naive for asking, but what's the major functional difference between SiS and Via? I've tried to research this, but all I find is people talking about how they love one and hate the other without really stating why.

Anyway, what's your advice to a Mac veteran joining the Dark Side? Thanks!

Welcome to IBM-PC clones and Windows.

For recommended boards in custom computers, go here:

For a case, be sure to get one with a 400 Watt power supply and optional case fan or two.

I'm looking at the boards with the WinXP entry in the WHQL Logo'd column.

Go with one that has USB 2.0, it's backward compatible with 1.1. 2.0 will be useful later on.

Onboard sound is usually good, can be bypassed by an add-in card.

ATA133 will assure being able to use newer drives when they come out.

DDR2700 memory is fine if the budget will allow. 2100 would probably work too.

ATX boards have keyboard and mouse sockets the same size, PX/2.

I've had boards with SiS, VIA, and ALi chipsets along with both Award and AMI BIOSes, not that much difference for a standard setup. The parts are built to run with standard configurations but not as much testing done for the overclockers [they like to do their own].

has some board/CPU combos already priced by several companies.

Do some research on the Asus K7V333 board, its quite stable and has some great features as well as performance capabilities.
~Apex1x
Never become expert at something you hate. They'll make you do it for the rest of your life.

ASUS A7V 333 is the best board to go with.....so many features (on board sound, 6 usb 2.0 ports, ATA 133)...was rated extremely high and maximum pc loves it. If you haven't found this out already...when putting your heatsink fan combo on your processor a) make sure you use thermal compound on the core and b) be very careful the core of the processor can crack so, so easily. A-bit boards have been a bit flakey in the past. Make sure you have a great power supply...try to go with enermax they have a good case and power supply. Scotty Mac a.k.a smaxted

"Another day, another problem"

Yes, the A7V333, not the K7V333 ;)
For this board make sure you have an excellent power supply, as the entire system's performance relies on it.
I would go with a 400W min.

~Apex1x
Never become expert at something you hate. They'll make you do it for the rest of your life.

Hi! I see you guys are Asus fans!!!!! and yeh they are good but to be honest all the makes and models you have chosen are within a cats whisker of one another and I wouldn't necessarily put the Asus on top of that pile "it's that close!!"
But anyway the Via KT400 is out NOW! so why have a moby with the out going KT333CE chipset???? the new Gigabyte looks good and is bound to be great value.
SIS has always been known for it's BUDGET chipset offerings and usually slightly off the pace performance, I say USUALLY because they have hit the mark with both there current Athlon and P4 chipset sollutions, infact rather taking Intel and Via by surprise with two feature packed and high performing entries.
Having said this, Via is still considered to be the better all round option with great driver support and slightly better performance "at this time" but SIS are certainly NOT the second rate option rather more for the budget concious. Martin Please let members know if there advice has helped any.

Ignore my comment about the Via KT400 platform.
It seems for the time being at least, the present KT333ce is the fastest chipset platform.
Clearly I should read reviews and not take for granted that a newer chipset necessarily means faster speeds. (bows his head in shame) Martin Please let members know if there advice has helped any.

Thanks for the replies! I'm still not sure which motherboard I'm going to go with, but I'm leaning toward the MSI, if only for the features. The A7V333 which everyone suggested looks pretty good, but it's almost $120 vs. $89 for the MSI for pretty much the same features. But I haven't heard much talk about MSI, whereas everyone seems to love Asus, so I'm not sure.

It was mentioned that I could go with DDR2100 RAM instead of DDR2700. Is there a substantial difference between the speed of these two? Also, would I be better off spending the extra money on name brand RAM vs. generic? The price difference is pretty huge, and I'd be more inclined to get the generic stuff if I can get by with it.

My other question - I've been looking around at case/power supply combos, and most of the cases either mention nothing about the processer, or only mention the P4. Will these work alright with my AMD chip, or do I need one which specifically claims to be AMD approved?

Thanks again!

The P4 case/PS should be fine for the AMD, just has an extra leg out of the PS for the P4 board. I have one on my Athlon, just fastened the extra leg back out of the way. Don't use rubber bands to bundle wires, they get brittle rather quickly. Use the nylon ties and cut the free end off.

For memory there may not be a large difference in speed between 2100 and 2700. Be sure it has the lifetime warranty and you buy from a reputable company in case of needing warranty service. I've had good luck with Zeus, Viking, Kingston Value.

As for boards, I have 2 GigaByte, 1 Slot A Athlon 700MHz and 1 Super Socket 7 550MHz. Also have 2 FIC Super Socket 7 boards in use [1 test bed and 1 loaner] plus an FIC Celeron board in wife's computer.

I've been studying on the GigaByte GA-7VRX or GA-7VRXP boards, the P has SoundBlaster and the other has AC97-type sound onboard. 10/100 Ethernet can go either way, already have the card. Like not having video on board simply for the ability to change and does not share system memory.

The MSI KT3 ultra 2 is a great motherboard and yes you are right to point out the price differance because although the Asus is arguably the better moby it isn't worth the extra money.
The MSI is every bit as good as the Gigabyte.
All very close as the reviews will point out, it's down to features and price and the MSI has it by the slimest of margins but any of these would be a good choice.
I said 2700 instead of 2100 but it's all down to the cas latencey of the supplied memory, for example if the 2100 was CL2 then this is propably going to be very close in performance to 2700 CL3 but cheaper.
You will have to ask your suppliers and weigh up the pros and cons.
I would personally advise you to get an AMD recommended power supply but again if you are on a budget and want to stick with the PSU that comes with the case then try and get a case with a 350/400watt supply (it is becoming more common to see these higher wattage units coming as standard in some cases) As has been said when they mention P4 compatible it means AS WELL! as XP, because it has an extra harness required for the high end P4. Martin Please let members know if there advice has helped any.

Asus also sells a few SIS chipset boards that are about the same quality as the VIA chipset boards. The advantage is not VIA 4-in-1 drivers. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

I would go with asus a7 333 with a via chip, and I would cool the chip, also make sure you have excellent cooling on the athon.

I just built a system with the mentioned KT3 ultra ARU...put it in an Antec SX1040 BII (comes with a 400 Watt Antec PS)...XP 1800+ with retail package cooling fan...Visiontek GeForce 4 Ti 4200...512 Mgs of Crucial PC2100...Lite On CD/DVD ROM, Lite On 48X CDRW. I used the RAID input for the HD without actually using RAID. I was very impressed at how easy/trouble-free/stable the whole process turned out.

Did dummy up and set the FSB to 166...
that 1 gave me a start...power switch DID NOT turn machine back on after it shut down. So, I finally overcame the thought of having an $1100 boat anchor and cleared the bios with the jumper and snapped while I was booting (whew, relief) that I'd need 133 instead of 166 FSB...and after that my only job was to unpucker my purse string.

The customer I was building the setup for is a gamer...and I put his old 10 Gid HD in his new machine to retrieve some data from it...and just for grins tried to run his games from it...some of them ran...some of them were gonna' have to be reinstalled...but none of them ran as poorly (he sees now) as they did before.

I also suggest the MSI board, can't be beat for the money (IMO).

One thing to definately consider is getting away from the MX chipset on the video. For the difference in cost, if gaming is a main concern, buy a TI chip. Even step down to GeForce 3 instead of the 440MX. The 460 MX is a little better, and the 440MX is better than the 420, but dollar for dollar, the video card will give you the best gaming experience. A coworker just built an MSI KT3 Ultra 2, and had a 420 MX with a 2000+XP. Had abismal 3D scores (my 1 Gig Gigabyte board with a 64MB DDR ATI (Pre 700/7500)) had almost comparable 3D scores. BY changing to a TI 4400, the 3D mark score more than doubled, and cranked out a high 9000's benchmark - not too shaby. They got lost the first time they played everquest, because the visual detail was so high, they couldn't recognize it as the same game (been playing for over a year and a half).

Just my opinion. But for gaming, don't skimp on the video card. It will be the single best dollar for dollar investment in gamming. If you opt for 2100 DDR on an MSI board you almost have the difference right there to go with the TI 4200. Memory is expensive right now, I believe it will drop in the not to distant future. If it does, then upgrade to 2700 at that time. I don't think you will see that tremendous of a difference in real game play (but I could be wrong - each system is different)

My 1 and only encounter with MX cards...when I built my own system with K7T266 Pro2 RU...was trying to install a Visiontek GeForce 4 MX card in it...a no go mix.
I then got a GeForce3 Ti200...worked fine...and in the real world, outperforms the card I was trying to put in.
Since then, I've looked into it and don't like the MX chip a'tall...insist on the Ti. I've had terrific results with them...3 and 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back