Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Advice (Strange Site Ranking Results)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdubbish

Programmer
Dec 9, 2004
US
I have been performing Search Engine Optimization and paid ad tasks for years, and have had a lot of success with the results of my optimization for specific keywords.

In optimizing a site of mine for "service dispatch" I have come across a site that seems to break all of the rules I've ever heard of when it comes to SEO. The text on the page is short, simple, and hardly contains the keywords and phrases it is highly ranked for. The backward links don't seem to be extensive. All sub-pages link redirect to a different URL.

is ranked #1 for 'Service Software' and 'Service Dispatch', but all of the pages on it redirect to a completely different domain. The other domain does not rank anywhere close to the top.

Can anyone explain this phenomenon? I mean this has me scratching my head. It just doesn't seem like that site should be ranked so highly.

Thanks for any input you might have.

how long have they had this position. if not long then they are doing something screwy and it will be adjusted shortly. if they are doing it by the book i would suggest you contact them and pay them to learn what they are doing :)

Darryn Cooke
| The New Orange County Graphic designer and Marketing and Advertising Consultant
| Marketing and Advertising blog

It has been at the top for the designated keywords for quite sometime.

I am just curious if anyone knows of a technique they may be using to make their rankings possible.

I have reviewed a TON of SEO techniques, and each they are using as well, and none of them should help with gain rankings on a site that does nothing but redirect to a different domain.

There is no text on, code, javascript, or any other elements that look as if they should net the results being found.

BTW, the site listed is just to be used as an example, as I have NEVER seen a small site that redirects to another domain rank highly for a broad keyword or phrase.

Looks as if the new company is simply a continuation of Coastal Computer under a new name (see If Coastal have had a high rating for many years then you would expect them to retain the old domain name, but have all the content on their new site. There is nothing strange about this if they have been consistently highly rated by Google for a number of years with their original homepage.

If you want the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first.
'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'
Drive a Steam Roller

I see.

I guess I just always thought the new site would take precedence at some point in time. I suppose Google keeps it in the index so long as it is serving at a landing page.

Just seems crazy for a page with such little text to be so highly ranked for broad phrases.

Thanks for the input!

I guess I just always thought the new site would take precedence at some point in time. I suppose Google keeps it in the index so long as it is serving at a landing page.

I guess everything new becomes old eventually. What John was saying is that these guys are the top dog. Even if they change their domain and have a page of nothing that directs people to the content as far as Google is concerned they are still the top dog.

Don't think of JUST that page being ranked so high. Google is ranking that page high because of its intended destination which is ranked highly.

Darryn Cooke
| The New Orange County Graphic designer and Marketing and Advertising Consultant
| Marketing and Advertising blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back