Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need advice on upgrading PC component for Virtualization support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rushi101

Technical User
May 22, 2016
US
Hello Everybody,

I have to learn MCSA, MCSE windows server 2012 R2 at home, but i don't have powerful CPU and enough RAM to run VMs, i currently have intel DG31PR motherboard with dual core 2.6Ghz processor and 4gb RAM(2x2gb), Please suggest me Motherboard, CPU and Maximum Ram i need to Complete MCSE preparation at home. Initially I could use 16gb RAM for MCSA then later think about Upgrading it to 32 GB.

First thing we would need is a price range you are looking to spend. I can list a base cheap-o build that likely wont last if you are on a super strick budget or if we knew your price range we could piece in better components to make the build worth spending the money.

Sidenote: that mobo has VM support. Without knowing the model number of the CPU I cant tell you 100% if the CPU can handle it or not, likely not if you are asking this question.

Here is a list of compatible processors for your current mobo: (Note the Q9400s is the top of the class for that socket and compatibility. Intel says it is VM compatible as long as your mobo is.)

So with that said, you could just beef up your RAM and CPU with your current setup if you are on a super budget.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back