Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need advice on setup file

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greggie

Technical User
Jun 25, 2001
AU
I'm trying to compile my program into a setup file which I've done but when I try to install the program I get the message "The system could not locate the file 'C:\Windows\Temp\mfstqws.pdw\ST6UNST.EXE' (being the uninstall file).

What's strange is that
(a)I've been developing this program over many months and I always test compile and install (by uninstalling and re-installing) each new update and I've never had a problem before. I've kept the old versions and now when I try to install them using the setup.exe file they give me the same error message.

(b)ST6UNST.EXE file referred to in the error message above actually exists in the CAB file that accompanies the setup.exe file so I would have thought it should unzip the ST6UNST.EXE file to the 'C:\Windows\Temp\mfstqws.pdw\' temporary directory. Also, in the setup.lst file, the ST6UNST.EXE file is defined as the uninstall file.

Any ideas anyone?

Are you using VB's package and deploy tool? I've run into lots of problems with that tool and now I use InstallSheild which doesn't seem to give me the same problems or as many as I was having when using VB's package tool.

Maybe you uninstalled something pertinent to the whole package when you uninstalled, I know that shouldn't matter since you are going through a completely different install, but weirder things have happened, ey?

Can you try it on a different machine?

What did you do differently this time?

Thx kenndot. Much appreciated. I'll give that a go. I've got a trial version of Install Shield so I'll see if that works and trying it on a different machine should tell me something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back