Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need advice on Red Hat Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkonner

MIS
Apr 28, 2001
US
Howdy,

I am doing a major upgrade of my Red Hat Linux skills. I plan to move my career away from a Windows platform to Linux. I have the equivalent of three years of good Red Hat Linux experience. Particularly I am looking at the online courses as they are significantly cheaper. Are these courses worth it? Or am I just better off doing what I am doing now, which is going through all of my new and old Linux books and studying from them? What about the "regular" classes offered by Red Hat? Are they worth the (significant) expense? I realize this is my career, so I do not want to be cheap about this, but I want to get a return on the money I spend. I also plan on working passing the Red Hat Linux certification.

Thanks!

Bill Konner

This is second hand info, but a friend of mine took the classes and said he actually learned quite a bit. He already had a CIS degree and several years unix ...

Certifications measure your capability to pass a test that demonstrates some qualifications. However, your resume' and experience are more relevant in my mind.

I know a lot of talented people who have very few certifications. That said, if you are going to a strong RedHat-only shop you would potentially be able to use the certification as an edge.

Sorry for the circular argument. I've always hated these certifications because I've known many M$ certified techs who are flagrant idiots - possessing neither the technical skills or real experience to be of great value.

</rant>

Internet Directory

Hi,

Thank you all for your responses. Thedaver, I agree with what you said about hating these certifications. One time I used an MCSE who was totally clueless. Your information was helpful.

Thanks again!

Bill Konner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back