Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Advice on Number of Staff to Hire

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdsurfrider

IS-IT--Management
Jan 6, 2003
US
Hi: I'm in the planning phases of staffing-up for a small network support contract. The requirements are to deploy/maintain an integrated software development lab and provide end-user support.

My problem: I'm looking for industry data regarding how many support personnel it takes to support X many seats.

I estimate that there will be approximately 50 - 75 users in 3 locations (city-wide). The network will likely consist of a 4-5 site hub/spoke VPN configuration w/ T1s at each site.

The BIG question: Is this too much for 1 senior engineer and one junior engineer?

Your thoughts and advice are welcome.

Thanks,

Michael Law - MCSE, CCNA, SCSA, MCIW
Qualatech Computer Consulting, LLC

Dear Michael,

It depends on your SLA (Service Level Agreements).

If you are talking about network activity it also depends on emergency status (1 hour) or standard 4-8 hour, next day etc. Are all 3 locations running the same systems?

If you support hardware, you must have at least 2 trucks (vans) stocked with appropriate repair/replace items and 2 Nextel radios would'nt hurt. Do you repair items on-site or replace-repair or replace-send out?

You will be traveling between centers many times so be prepared with a "room" or office of your own at each.

For items that you cover but are not an expert in, find yourself a local on-call guru now.

If you have covered all these bases and more, I believe you can easily support your contract.

Good luck in '04

Regards
Peter Buitenhek
Profit Developer.com

75 users, 3 locations, one city?
If you network was properly planned you should be able to support this only with your senior engineer.
But I think you should look for outsourcing the service to any third party. A support contractor will have tools, personnel, vehicles, etc., and because of the fact that they are in the support business it is to expect they can do the job more efficiently.

Have you estimated how many thousand dollars per month is going to cost you one engineer with all associated cost (tools, training, spare parts, per-dime expenses, office space, etc.)? I'm sure you are going to be able to find the proper contractor for a lot less money!

About application development, this is a different business. Not too much technicians are good at LAN/WAN support AND software development. Maybe you should consider to outsource this too, freelancers are very easy to find, and many of them make a very good job for a very convenient price. I've used freelance developers many times to provide my clients with complete solutions, and in general the experience was successful.

Regards,

Jose.-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back