Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need advice on new installation - 7 site IP Office over T-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BassMonger57

IS-IT--Management
Mar 19, 2004
US
Hey fellas,

I've got a proposal in the works for a customer, and it's got me quite worried. They're a small bank with 6 branch offices, and a headquaters - which will all be connected by point-to-point T-1 circuits.

I'd like to know if anyone here has done this specific type of installation before (I'm sure you guys have). I'd like to know what pitfalls or catches there might be for making this work.

The customer currently has all 7 offices connected by Frame, but will be replacing their frame with T-1's. All networking gear and routers will be Cisco.

If anyone's interested, I can provide better details on the proposal.

Biggest deal will be ensuring that the voice packets get priority on the Routers. It's not difficult, although there are a ton of different ways of implementing QOS.

I recently implemented a 6 site VoIP network over 2 point to point T1s and 2 VPN enabled DSL links using cisco 1720s at 3 three locations and 2 Linksys routers without any problems......so far. just make sure that all the administrators double check whether an extension number or user name has already been used before creating a new user.

I used G.711 as the compression for the site to site connections as well as for the iPhonemanager user (connected via software VPN to a Watchguard Firebox). The ciscos were set to give priority for any packets with dscp value of 46. Haven't had any problems so far, but then again the call volume's not that high.

Have done many multi site installs with all manner of links, dsl, frame, wireless,carrier pigeon... you have the ideal setup with dedicated links.

Just remember to plan the network setup properly, unique ext and groups throughout the network and make sure you allow for plenty of expansion regardless of what the customer tells you!!!

New Zealands premier IP Office installation mechanic and configuration corruptor from way back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back