Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need advice on load balancing two T1 lines from the same ISP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pie8ter

IS-IT--Management
Nov 14, 2006
US
We currently have a T1 line with an ISP. In order to load balance and fail over the traffic, we are getting another T1 line from the same ISP. The new T1 will come from different core than the existing line. We also would like to aggregate the links for higher bandwidth.

The router we have currently have is 2651XM. Our ISP told us they will route traffic for our existing block of IPs on both T1 one lines. This way we don't need to deal with buying a block of IPs and registering an ASN and configuring BGP, etc.

What cisco router do I need? Any other information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Your current router would be just fine. Are you going to use a multilink group?

Thanks for the response.

I would like to multilink (or aggregate) the two (1.5Mb/s) T1 lines to get 3mb/s line. It will be a waste bandwdith and money not to use the second line. Since I getting the two T1 lines from the same ISP, do I need to configure BGP on the router?

The 2651XM only has two onboard fast ethernet ports. There are two slots for WIC modules though. Do you have any recommendations on WIC modules? I also read that 2600 series routers reached their end of life. Should I go with 2800 series?

What about hardware failover? Can I use a 2800 and 2651XM?

Thanks again!

The only way to load balance 2 links between 2 routers would be to have your own AS and run BGP. The 2600's have been EOL'd but as far as I know the 2600xm's haven't been. You could upgrade to a 2801 and use 2 T1 CSU DSU's to bundle the circits together. I would work with your provider to configure multilink as you have failover and increased bandwidth.

Can I just use the private ASN? I am still going through my ISP's AS and the internet won't know anything about my routings.

I read somewhere in cisco.com that 2600XM series is also EOL'd. Cisco wants everyone to upgrade to 2800 series.

If I want to automatic hardware failover, do I need to have the standby router with the same model/IOS as the primary router? I would like to use the 2651XM as a standby if I go for the 2801.

If you are concerned with eol routers, does that mean you want a SmartNet contract with Cisco, because you are worried the 2600's won't be supported, or are you worried that you won't be able to find parts?
If it is the first, then Cisco will help you configure the router and advise you, as far as I know.
If it is the second, the 2600's I think are great, with the right image. If you ever had a problem and wanted to upgrade, selling it for close to what you pay for (on Ebay) would not be a problem. I have made a bit on everything I have bought and sold on Ebay, including routers and switches.
As far as multilinking the T1's I don't think you would need to configure bgp if you are routing through the internet via the ISP.

Burt

Right now we don't have any contract with cisco and won't in the future either. So I guess I shouldn't be concerned about the EOL date.

What about HSRP? Is it similar to BGP?

Thanks

No---BGP is Border Gateway Protocol, a routing protocol for very large networks, like the internet. It routes between autonomous systems. HSRP is Hot Standby Routing Protocol, which is strictly for redundancy. You configure routers to take over in the same path in case one fails. This is usually done in layer three switches that contain VLAN info, but it can be used in other applications as well.

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back