Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need advice on AV product for windows web server

Status
Not open for further replies.

1DMF

Programmer
Jan 18, 2005
GB
Hi,

We have just had an absolute nightmare with AVG 9 and have now removed the software and obtained a refund.

However, I would like advice from anyone who can recommend a replacement anti-virus which meets the following requirements.

1. No more than £100.00 yearly subscription costs.

2. Must NOT have firewall capabilities.

3. Suitable for use in a Windows 2003 Standard R2 with SP2 web server environment running IIS6, ActiveState Perl v5.8.8 build 820 & MS SQL 2005.

We use Sophos for internal domain / network, but single web server licence is too expensive and so need alternative.

Any advice really is appreciated.

Thanks,
1DMF

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

Google Rank Extractor -> Perl beta with FusionCharts

I second the suggestion for nod32.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Nod32 or Avira Antivir would likely be my #1 choice. You could try each one (different times), and see which seems to work better for you, and go from there, I suppose.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

I've asked my reseller about NOD32, but that Avira, can't seedm to find an appropriate version for a web server.

I went to ProxyVersions and WebGate, but it keeps telling me I have to buy 10 user licences, if so i'm not interested, it's a webserver, I need a server version, not user version.

There is only one user on a web server, they all use the same account.

It doesn't look like they do a version that meets my criteria.

Any other suggestions?

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

Not 100% sure about whether there are different types of licensing for different server types, but here's at least one reference from Avira directly. It seems they have a server license as well:

And when I went directly to their site, and looked, I saw lots of server products, but nothing specified for a web server:

I'd personally just contact them directly to see what they say if you want to check into that option.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Richard,

I use NOD32 on my server, which also runs my web server, so not sure what the issue is there. Works perfectly on mine.
You've lost me, what issue are you refering to, that you are not sure about?

kjv1611, I'm going to give NOD32 a trial, when I get the time, my reseller has heard of them and can supply it, which is a good sign.

But soooo busy, it'll have to wait till I get a chance.

I'll let you know how I get on.

I think I misunderstood your post, I read it as you could not find a NOD32 version for your server, but perhaps you only meant that comment for Avira?

Richard S. Anderson, RCDD

lol - ok no problem. I did mean Avira.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back