Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need advice on a shape dropdown list

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluByU

IS-IT--Management
Jul 29, 2003
US
Hello.

I have a spreadsheet that has a "stoplight" display which is essentially 3 small circles colored red, yellow and green. Each circle is in its own cell. Is it possible to put these shapes into a drop down list so that when the user selects one of them, a predetermined cell is filled with their selection?

Or, have a drop down list with the words "Red", "Yellow" and "Green" and when the user selects "Red" the red shape appears in a predetermined cell.

I appreciate any advice you can give me. I know this question sounds a little vague. I have experience in scipting in VBA. Thanks!

Hi,

Use AutoFilter.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] When a group touring the Crest Toothpaste factory got caught in a large cooler, headlines read...
Tooth Company Freeze a Crowd! and
Many are Cold, but Few are Frozen![tongue][/sub]

You could use data validation with list (R, Y, G). Conditional formatting based on this selection could be useful for colouring cels. If you have only one (or three) shapes to display 'stoplights', you could use function that sets colorindex for given shape (can be modified to work with RGB colour):
Code:
Public Function ColorShape(ShapeName As String, ColorIndex As Integer)
Application.Caller.Parent.Shapes(ShapeName).Line.ForeColor.SchemeColor = ColorIndex
End Function

combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back