Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need advice for CORBA Notification architecture

Status
Not open for further replies.

pikoll

Technical User
Mar 31, 2003
FR
Hi,

As part of my job, I am supposed to implement a CORBA Notification framework between a dozen of machines, which shall be accessible from applications in Java, C++ and ideally Delphi. One more constraint is that it shall be all using OpenSource software...
I came with an architecture proposition, but I lack the competency to judge its eventual problems, because I do not really know the roots of CORBA. The idea is to use OpenORB for the Notification server and the Java applications, and an Open Source ORB for C++ which would have the Notification Service libraries (not found yet). For Delphi, I am trying to find an appropriate ORB but it seems quite difficult.
I have several questions:
- is it possible to use the OpenORB Notification server with another ORB, say, the ORBacus for C++ Notification Service libraries ? (I know it is not freeware)
- do you know an Open Source ORB for C++, including the Notification Service ?
- same question for Delphi.

I thank you very much

Hi pikoll,

according to OMG and CORBA specification it should be possible for any OMG compliant orb to interoperate with any other. So if OpenORB is OMG compliant this should work.
An open source ORB for c++ including Notification service is the TAO (the ace orb). I use it together with Jacorb and Orbacus and OrbExpress (still evaluating this last one). With the Java orbs TAO works fine, allthough Jacorb and Orbacus dont have the notification service. Prism Technologies has an distribution of Jacorb with Notification service but it is not free or open source.

As for a Delphi ORB i have no idea

Hope this helps you a bit!
CU
Ingo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back