Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need admin access for CD-ROM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenche0820

Programmer
Aug 7, 2003
CA
Hello,

I am having a problem with my CD-ROM inside Virtual PC 2004 whenever the host OS is a regular user. If I am administrator in the host OS, then everything is fine, but if I am a regular user, then the CD-ROM in VPC malfunctions. For one IBM ThinkPad T30 laptop, I have English W2K as the host and French W2K as the guest OS. The error message I got when trying to extract a zip file on the CD was "End-of-central-directory signature not found." For my other laptop (IBM Thinkpad T23), I have English XP as the host and French W2K as the guest OS. In this case, the install script became junk characters, so the error message was "'?CD001?' n'est pas reconnu en tant que commande interne ou externe, un programme exécutable ou un fichier de commandes." The zip file is also corrupt (ie. get end-of-central-directory error upon extract).

I switched back and forth between admin and regular user on the host OS, and the problem is consistently reproducible only as a regular user.

Any idea what could be wrong?

Thanks,

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back