Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need access to a NTFS 5 Partition with a Command Prompt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 14, 2002
US
I need to gain access to a NTFS 5 partition with a DOS command prompt without booting up 2K to run a scanpm and remove a virus.

I have looked at ERD Commander 2000 and it runs in a shell. The demo will not let me run scanpm.exe and the full version makes no reference to enabling this feature.

Does anyone have any alterative ideas or knowledge that ERD Commander will do this?

Any help will be great. Thank you much.

The Clueless
"Hey! We're all there at some point...Mine just happens to be today"

If you have access to the Win2kPro CD boot you machine to win2k, logon and at the run line type "e:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons" where e: is the drive letter for your CD-ROM drive.

This will install the recovery console.

Check your startup and recovery options on the advanced tab of the system properties dialog box and ensure you have checked the "Display a list of operating systems for 30 seconds" check box and the recovery console is in the "default operating system" drop down list.

Reboot your computer and choose the recovery console from the startup options. Log in as administrator for either your local machine or active directory on your domain if you are on a domain.

This should enable you to execute your scanpm.exe. Let me know if this works.

Cheers.
Bretto

TheClueless,

I have HEARD, that:
If you format a floppy disk from a Win2k machine, and add the ntldr, ntdetect.com, and boot.ini file, that one should be able to boot to command prompt. Bear in mind that, the boot.ini, must point to a valid location where ntoskrnl can be found!

Additionally, you may need the "ntbootdd.sys" file, if using SCSI's with no prom.

[pc3] Rich
prescot9@hotmail.com
Father, Geek, and MCP

I had the same problem. I made a regular Win98 boot disk, and used WinISO to create a bootable CD ISO with NTFSDOS Pro and McAfee Virus scan. Then just burn the image to a cd and boot your computer and run NTFSDOS. Just make sure that you use the advanced option in NTFSDOS Pro to make it an alternative version, or else you'll have memory issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back