Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need a well-suited sound-card for a home-studio 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 23, 2001
BE
Hi,
I'm looking for hardware that supports at least 8 simultaneous recording channels in 24 bit at 96 kHz
so i can digitally record a playing band and mix it afterwards. Anyone has any suggestions or warnings i should look after ?

It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
Murphy's Laws

I haven't come across any hardware to take multiple inputs yet, but why the need for 24 bit@96kHz?
CD format is 44.1kHz, even mixes done at high resolutions will have to be chopped back to 44.1, and to do this to a high standard will take a very high-end machine. It can be done though, but I sample and process in the same resolution that the final mix is intended for.
Michael

It won't require a high-end machine if a hardware-piece does the work (like the new soundblaster from creative).
I do not really need this high qualtiy, that's right, but i'd rather spend a little more for more quality than that i afterwards find out i could use it, while i didn't bought it.
So i asked for this quality because i found some hardware that is able to do it, but i need some advice because i'm really a rookie in this.
thx for answering so quickly...

It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
Murphy's Laws

The equipment you want has a high cost. To encode on 8 channels requires some gear like a 8 channel Audio Encoder/server. Take a look at this company called Ituner.

They have multiple channel audio encoders and also MPEG4 Video encoders/servers.

Their prices are not cheap.

I found them looking for some Mini-ITX Info.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Here is something else:

Look around this site a bit.

I think a mixer might be a nice Idea. That looked kind of nice. You could mix and then capture the sound on the highest sampling rate.

This site seems to have a lot of different stuff.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Have you looked at the midiman range of cards. Unfortunately this isn't going to be something you're gonna fix with a 'Creative' card. You may be better off posting on a music forum such as Computer Music or Future Music for an in depth response. The benefits of 96k recording are worthwhile if that is the route you wish to go.....

Good luck.

What software are you planning on using for recording the audio?

The Fostex MR8 looks pretty good, you could possibly record directly through the USB to harddrive, as the 128Mb compact flash card won't last long at 96kHz.

I don't really know how good or bad this product is, but it has 8 inputs and bundles with cakewalk 9. Here is the link:
I don't record directly to my computer, but I import music(that I record in a studio with my band) and use Wavelab to do some processing. I find it is an excelent program.

If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back