Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need a simple update/version control process or tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodgerfields

Programmer
Aug 14, 2002
US
I'm maintaining and enhancing a fairly small Access application that currently runs on a single workstation. However, I do my coding on another machine. I don't have a simple but effective way to maintain version control or to update the production system once I've tested my changes.
Right now, I've created an empty database on a floppy (I'm so embarrassed!) to which I export each module (report, form, table, etc.) that I've changed. Then I go to the production machine, stop Access, open the database on the floppy, and export them all to the production system.

Both machines are on a LAN, so I could simplify things by exporting directly to the production machine, but the one time I tried that, it hosed the production database!!

What's the best way to (a) keep track of what's changed, and (b) update the production system from my development workstation?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Rodger Fields
Software Engineer
Pflugerville, Texas (suburb of Austin)

This has allways been a problem in access.

Its simple to solve, as one can see the date on each element in the database........ but if your base crashes or you compact your base these dataes will change to the current date :-(
So the problem is hard to eliminate so if you find a solution to this problem, let us know PLEASE ;-)

I'll do that. At least I know I'm not alone in my dilemna!

Thanks,
Rodger
Rodger Fields
Software Engineer
Pflugerville, Texas (suburb of Austin)

As far as versioning, unless you're using 2002 and pvcs, it's a difficult and tedious task. In the past, I have created a "version.mdb" for the application. When I make a change to an object, I import it into the version.mdb and name it i.e. for a from - frmxxxMyForm_v3.2 and update the comment to show what I did. I then have a history of all changes to all objects. It's a bit tedious - but it works.
As far as updating the application, I found the following database on the interenet - if the author sees this, I apologize in advance for not having kept the source and providing credit - I did not write this - it shows who is using a file based database. You can call users and ask them to get out for 5 minutes while you do the update - OR you could create a new version of the production and have windows copy it in at night when no one is in the database.
Either way - this utility is very useful for file based access systems.

if you'd like - it e-mail me at a_scuba_guy@hotmail.com

Jimmy

I've created a table that I use to track my modifications to the database (i.e. bug, enhancement, etc.). I use a form to enter this information into the table. When a record is added to this table, I then update a custom database property of the front-end database with the current system date/time (via FILE|DATABASE PROPERTY|CUSTOM). Then I add an "HELP|About" menu item on the menubars that are displayed on my forms. When the user selects "Help|About", I pop-up a form that displays the custom database property that records the date/time this version was created. This date/time serves as my version number. Works great. Now I can determine whether or not the user has the latest version on his/her machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back